Thursday, September 17, 2009

I didn't expect the steroids to affect Maren so much in terms of her mood. I figured 28 straight days of steroids during induction would have been so much worse than 2 seven day pulses with a week off in between. It was worse, but it's getting pretty bad now. Rough day here. I haven't checked her glucose levels. The docs said we don't we need to unless she is symptomatic which she doesn't seem to be at this point. Hopefully we just need to get through 4 more days of steroids plus the time it will take for her body to detox.

I am thankful she can still walk. She doesn't necessarily want to all the time, but she can. I am thankful for two friends who stopped by today to bring meals and chat outside. I am thankful we are home. I am thankful for a thoughtful friend who stopped by the other day with a Netflix gift subscription - while I was on hold with the hospital and insurance company earlier I was able to watch the better part of a documentary. I am thankful for a sister-in-law who sent a funny email that made me laugh today. I am thankful that my children have awesome grandparents and great-grandparents to give them memorable birthdays. I am thankful for friends who unexpectedly send packages for the little ones that light up an otherwise dreary day stuck at home. I am thankful for a MOPS group that is 5 months later still heck-bent on providing meals and prayers. I am thankful for all of you new readers and the old faithful readers who take some of your time(which we all need more of) to check up on Maren, to think of us, and go through this with us in thought and prayer; thanks to all of you, I have not, even for one second, felt like we were doing this alone. I am thankful that God is good.

The house is a disaster - post birthday party mess, and dishes galore due to Maren's current food obsessions, and I just walked into the kitchen to see that Elijah had taken a crayon to the wall and drawn gigantic ocean waves. I didn't lose my cool though -admittedly rare for me- and I gave him a "pass" after reading about an 8-year old girl named Anika who passed away from relapsed ALL in July. Her dying wish was for parents everywhere to give their children a free pass the next time they misbehaved. So Anika, I now have a lovely ocean scene in my kitchen. Thank you, I just might enjoy that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Emily, I am so proud of you! And I am ever thankful that you are my daughter and Maren and Elijah's mother. You are my ocean. I love you! And yes, God is good! God is good! Mom

Becky said...

Man E....what a day. Praying for you. The pass story really got me thinking. Thank goodness that tomorrow is a new, fresh day. His mercies are new each and every morning, even when a crayon ocean scene is the backdrop at breakfast. Love you guys.

Watkins said...

Hooray for a new ocean scape. Precious kiddos and precious moments...

The pass is a good thought on day three of potty training a still resistant 3 year old (not that he's getting in trouble - I'm just frustrated). Some things just really aren't that important in the long run.

Laurie B. said...

You are for sure not alone in this. Even though I moved away physically you are still close to me in my heart! I am praying for you and your family every day. Love you girl! You are so strong and you are an inspiration to me!

Contributors